Consider this organisation ….
ABC is a medium-sized government organisation. To generate process efficiencies and cost savings ABC recently automated a number of functions and cut costs in some areas. While these changes were necessary they have had an unintended consequence. Morale seems to have fallen, absenteeism has doubled and turnover has grown considerably. One of the departing managers said that the he joined to make a difference to the community and now “it’s just about the numbers”. Another employee was recently heard to say that she used to feel valued by the organisation but now she just feels “like a cog in a machine”.
As with most organisations, ABC has had to modernise its processes to generate better efficiencies and to stay relevant. However, this has resulted in employees feel less engaged in their work and less valued for their unique human qualities.
Many organisations are facing a similar problem. It’s not easy to maintain a “human workplace” in which employees feel valued and engaged, amidst so much automation and the constant drive towards greater efficiency. To do so is important. Workplaces with human cultures are far more likely to have engaged employees and it is in these organisations that new ideas and innovation are most likely to emerge.
Elephant Capability can help ….
Elephant Capability can work with management teams to help organisations shift their cultures further towards valuing the humans who work in them so that team members are more fully engaged.
Based on work with previous organisations some elements of this shift may be as follows:
- Removing/ modifying processes and artefacts which make workers feel less than human
- Finding new ways to recognise the contributions of employees
- Creating opportunities for employees to connect with others
- Shifting towards more regular and open communication more open
- Recognising and tapping into the diverse employee base
- Changing to a more respectful, human form of organisational language
- Finding ways to better develop employees
To find out more and understand how Elephant Capability can help your workplace shift towards a more engaging, human culture please get in touch.